Sunday, March 22, 2009

Substitutions

Today we stayed home for Sunday dinner like we have since Lyndie was born to keep her as germ free as possible. I decided to make a cake to go with dinner. I have heard you can add sour cream and pudding mix to a cake mix to make them really moist and delicious so I thought I would try it. I used this recipe from allrecipes.com. I knew I didn't have pudding mix so I used a another recipe off the same site to make it. I then went to put the sourcream in and realized my sour cream was bad. So, I thought I would substitute buttermilk and butter for it. Well, I don't have buttermilk. I ended up substituting milk and lemon juice for the butter milk and adding butter to make it sour cream. What was supposed to be an easy recipe turned out to be a little more trouble, but I infused the cake with marshmallow creme using a frosting bag/tip and dotted the outside. The dots melted, but I like how it ended up looking anyway and it tasted yummy. If you are looking for a yummy chocolate bundt cake recipe, I really enjoyed this one and recommend using what it orginally calls for.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Wow! That was the most creative cake I have ever heard of! I would have given up...LOL!

Steph said...

Wow I had no idea you could make so many substitutions! You are amazing - it was so good to see you guys the other night lets do it again soon.