Sunday, March 22, 2009

We had the "Teachings for our Times' lesson today in Relief Society. I really liked this quote that Elder Perry used in his talk: "As Elder William R. Bradford taught at this pulpit: “In righteousness there is great simplicity. In every case that confronts us in life there is either a right way or a wrong way to proceed. If we choose the right way, we are sustained in our actions by the principles of righteousness, in the which there is power from the heavens. If we choose the wrong way and act on that choice, there is no such heavenly promise or power, and we are alone and are destined to fail” (“Righteousness,” Liahona, Jan. 2000, 103; Ensign, Nov. 1999, 85)"
I know as we seek to have the Spirit in our life daily and feel the love the Lord has for us, He will sustain us as we make right choices to return to live with Him, our Heavenly Father and our families forever. I know at times I get stressed out by all I need to accomplish, or having a day full of cleaning that still ends with a dirty kitchen. What I need to remember is the stresses of life can melt away as I simplify by making more right choices. If I choose to watch "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" instead of taking care of my home then of course my kitchen will be dirty and I will be stressed. I know it is not always this black and white and I know we need time to relax, but I know the Lord will sustain us in our right choices.
Add: I looked up the word sustain and this is what I found:
  • prolong: lengthen or extend in duration or space; "We sustained the diplomatic negotiations as long as possible"; "prolong the treatment of the ...
  • suffer: undergo (as of injuries and illnesses); "She suffered a fracture in the accident"; "He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"; "She got a bruise on her leg"; "He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
  • nourish: provide with nourishment; "We sustained ourselves on bread and water"; "This kind of food is not nourishing for young children"
  • supply with necessities and support; "She alone sustained her family"; "The money will sustain our good cause"; "There's little to earn and many to keep"
  • hold: be the physical support of; carry the weight of; "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What's holding that mirror?"
  • admit as valid; "The court sustained the motion"
  • confirm: establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts; "his story confirmed my doubts"; "The evidence supports the defendant"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Our Heavenly Father and Savior are here to prolong our days, suffer with us, nourish us (physically/spiritually), give us the things we need, support us, be our actual physical support, validate us and confirm our right choices through the Holy Spirit. I know as a woman, these are the exact things that I need and I know as I seek to make good choices I will be blessed with these things

No comments: